Re: [OM] OM4 multi-spot; bandwidth

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 multi-spot; bandwidth
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 02:14:04 EST

<< If you are interested in the various effects that the scene gives, keep
 taking spot readings and observe the resulting exposure; compare it with
 what your experience tells you should be right and take the photo.  I do
 this mostly in Auto.

In manual spot the most exciting things happen.  If you place the metering bar
in the center, you have essentially spot averaging.  But as you adjust the
aperture, the diamonds, indicating the previous spot exposure values, move up
and down the scale with the metering bar (analog but in discrete steps).  You
can visually place each spot reading exactly where you want it with respect to
18 0ray as you turn the aperture or shutter speed ring.  If you can remember
where each spot reading was taken, you can actually visualize what will happen
on film.  If the readings are beyond the exposure capabilities of  your film,
then you can make the whatever compromises you want.  This is as close as
anyone will ever get to pre-visualizing what you will get on color film since
A Adams clarified B&W for the masses.  It tickles me happy every time I use
it.

If you had a Nikon F5, how would you ever figure out what the metering system
is doing?  Just put it on autobracket and burn off some film.

Warren Kato