Re: [OM] OM4 multi-spot; bandwidth

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 multi-spot; bandwidth
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:01:08 -0500
>>okay, I see it in operation.  However, I am struggling with *why* you would
average these readings.  Perhaps it works better than I anticipate, but I
would have thought that you are letting go of the decision-making process
when setting the exposure, which seems odd if you're already taking the time
to set a number spot meter readings for different parts of the scene.  What
if you want the important tones to be other than midtone?  you're surely
going to have to dial in some compensation, if you stay in auto?  If you
know what your midtone is, why not meter off it just *once* and use that?
Confused.>>

I agree with you. I've found it too confusing in my mind to remember which
spot, how many spots I've done, etc. By the time I picked eight spots I
think I'd be seriously befuddled.

I prefer to find the important middle tone and then maybe sometimes check a
high or low tone.

However, it's feature that's well implemented. If you don't want to use it,
you don't have to. It doesn't get in the way!

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com