Re: [OM] Inventions - was - Millenium Plans

Subject: Re: [OM] Inventions - was - Millenium Plans
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:05:04 +0100
Matthias Wilke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the invention of zero and its inroduction in mathematics and counting was
> like the invention of OTF metering and its introduction for TTL-flash,
> wasn't it ? I have heard Minolta has invented the metering at a pattern of
> the shutter curtain, but had they also the idea to use it for TTL-flash ?

Minolta has patented the metering of the film, but not on the use of patterns
on the shutter curtains.
It was Olympus who realized auto dynamical metering, it´s a lot more
complicated to solve real live technical problems, like the reduced light
intensity due to the reflection on the shutter/film, different
reflectibility of film shutter (patterns, electronic compensation) etc. When
reading the Olympus patent, you feel the pride Olympus had for there
solution.

It wasn´t Olympus who got the first patent on TTL flash, it was the
company, you never  would connect to TTL flash because it was the latest
to introduce it into there camera bodys: Canon
Of course it has an inherent logic to use the integrated OTF light sensor of
the
OM-2 for flash photography too.

> I think the indroduction of TTL-flash was the first and only addition to the
> old variables exposure time and aperture value. Of course it functions only
> with the arificial flash light, but with microscopes for example, which use
> artificial illumination all the time, it is a great technique to achieve
> the right exposure.

In fact macro photography is the domain of TTL flash, because external
flashmeters are to difficult to use here.

Regards

Richard