Re: [OM] Jumping the boat - was - Four new pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Jumping the boat - was - Four new pictures
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:29:19 +0000

> comparing an F601 to an OM4T....come one Giles, you can do better than
> that...

No, those are the two I happen to have and so am in a position
to make a comparison.

> You might was well compared the Nikon F50 for that matter.

No, for the reason already stated.

> Try a Contax or a Leica, and SEE the difference.

I would be happy to, if someone would care to lend me them ;-)

I don't think you see a difference between cameras, you
feel/experience it.  You might see a difference in lenses.

The 4Ti has, in it's multi-spot metering, one of the finest metering
sytems in any camera.  I personaly don't think I need much more than
that for the sort of photography I do.  High speed flash sync, matrix
metering, 1/8000th top shutter speed, auto wind/rewind, umpteen fps -
I don't want or need it.

What I think I need to improve my photography is a better sense of
composition, a tripod, enhaced vision in choice of subject, more
time and opportunity - if your Leica's and Contax's can give me these
improvements - lead the way.

A camera is a tool when you get down to it.  Once you have a tool of
a certain quality it all boils down your skill in wielding it.

I am sure the Leica's and Contax's you speak of are very fine but
they, and more importantly their lenses, are too expensive for me.
Nice to own for the sake of pride of ownership but in terms of a real
improvement in the end product, I doubt they would make one whit of
difference in my hands.

Enjoy yours though.

Giles