Re: [OM] to anyone who is interested

Subject: Re: [OM] to anyone who is interested
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:05:18 -0500 (EST)
> > > the temperature was -22 degrees celsius at the mountain's peak. the only
> > >  camera that still functioned was the OM3Ti. It saved my day.
> >
> > That is why it was marketed.  For the most extremes of conditions.
> > Unfortunately, not enough photographers have to put equipment to such tests
> > and can justify a need for such a rugged camera.

There was a comment made about film being brittle at these temperatures.
Since we're currently getting temperatures in the -20's here in Ottawa, I
thought I'd do a little test and see how the film actually behaves.  Last
night I left out a roll of Kodak Royal Gold 400 along with a thermometer.
When I went out this morning the thermometer read -21C.  The film appears
to remain very flexible at this temperature.  I was able to easily roll up
the leader and even fold it, make a crease, and then unfold it without the
film cracking.  It appears that at these temperatures the film will be
the least of your problems.  The temperature is supposed to drop down
to -23C on the weekend so I think I'll do some more testing with the
3Ti and 4Ti and see how they behave.
                                -mark