RE: [OM] off-topic Leica comments

Subject: RE: [OM] off-topic Leica comments
From: "Tomoyuki Kumagai" <kumagai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:09:46 +0900
>Flash forward to the 1920s. Oskar Barnack, a Leitz engineer, was
>experimenting with 35mm movie film. It occurred to him that he could
>evaluate the film more easily if he use a double-frame format.
>
>This was the beginning of the Leica (LEItz CAmera). It was significant
>for these reasons:
>
>1. It established 24x36 as the standard 35mm format.
>
>2. It was the first miniature camera to have a highly corrected lens.
>
>3. ...and most-important of all... It was the first _precision_ camera
>-- of any size or format. Prior to the Leica, cameras were made of wood
>or stamped metal. The Leica was the first to have a precision, die-cast
>metal body.

4. Invented "system camera" concept. Leica is the first one to have
interchangeable
    lens mount. and all the macro adapters, etc.
5. The first one to have a coupled Rangefinder.
6. The first one to have paralax corrected viewfinder.

BTW the designer of Olympus Pen and OM-1 is a Leica user. Why do I know? I
have
read his article a couple of years ago.