Re: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 08:40:50 -0800
>From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>>I really hate to do this...but M$ has invested $150 million in Apple
>>Computers.
>
>That may be the reason, that the best selling iMac has USB (Microsoft's
>child) rather than FireWire (Apple's and Sony's child).

Actually, USB and FireWire are totally different beasts. USB is to serial
and parallel ports as FireWire is to SCSI or EIDE ports. USB is cheap and
relatively slow, albeit MUCH faster than the serial ports it replaces.
FireWire is fairly expensive, and super-fast.

I think it's a fitting irony that MicroSoft and Intel have been pushing USB
for years, with little attention from the industry, but it took Apple to
bring it to the masses. Before the iMac, you couldn't buy a computer
pre-configured with USB -- you had to add a card, with the attendant
hassles -- and you could hardly buy a peripheral. Now there are
super-floppies, interface converters, scanners, all coming out with USB and
iMac support.

I'm trying to keep advocacy to a minimum here -- thanks for keeping the
hate-mail off-line and personal. :-(

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229