Re: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 17:33:37 -0800
>In <3690FAB3.9FF1D9BD@xxxxxx>, on 01/04/99 at 07:30 PM,
>   Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx> said:
>
>>"An Apple a day keeps greedy Microsoft away"
>
>I really hate to do this...but M$ has invested $150 million in Apple
>Computers.

Yes, and the US Justice Department is VERY interested in the co-incidental
nature of this investment and Apple's decision to bundle Micro$oft's
browser into MacOS... sort of like Canon giving Olympus $150 million
dollars, and then Olympus "co-incidentally" begins to manufacture camera
bodies with Canon mounts.

We REALLY don't want to get into a computer platform war, when we can fight
over far more meaningful things, such as single-coating vs. multi-coating,
or whether to bracket or not! :-)

All I'll say on the topic is that the Mac should appeal to the same sort of
person Olympus appeals to -- someone who isn't afraid to buck the crowd,
regardless of the reason. There are lots of other parallels, also: those
who say "there's more software available for Wintel" and those who say
"look at all the Nikon and Canon used gear out there," those who admit that
the Mac was ahead of its time, but has been caught by Wintel and those who
bemoan Olympus' lack of recent SLR innovation, etc.

This is not meant as a put-down to Wintel users on the list, but those who
prefer "safe" choices compute on Wintel and shoot Nikon or Canon.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229