[OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware

Subject: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:52:14 +0200
Hi Alexander and all,

You have decided to switch to Leica and Contax and you scan slides for the
internet. So my question is, is your computer equivalent to your lordly
camera equipment. I mean do you use Apple PowerMac ?
Note that I am a great fan of Apple computers and also of the company
Zeiss, the mother of all modern optical industry (I am not a fan of Leica,
though, their only real innovation was the indroduction of this *great*
35mm cinema format for photography). But without the partnership with the
Japanese concern Kyocera, there would be no Zeiss 35mm lens today, Zeiss
stopped building cameras in the beginning of the seventies, then there was
a brake till the partnership started.
Nevertheless, except for the poor viewfinder, the G1 and G2 are surely
cameras you can dream of (I also dream of the Mamiya 6 (discontinued  :-(
), the Mamiya 7, the Zenza Bronica SQAi and others).
I don't want to start with the endless PC - Mac battle here, but opposite
to Leica, the prices of this very best personal computers (just my personal
opinion) are reasonable. But Apple is in a battle to survive. Which company
do you think is more in the saddle, the "Leica Group" or Olympus, I don't
know. The optical business with non-mass-ware is a difficult one, like the
business with non-mass-ware computers is.

Matthias