Re: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Lordly Companies and mass-ware
From: Richard Ross <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 17:59:47 +0000
At 12:08 04/01/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Are you sure the Mamiya 6 is discontinued? i didn't think so...

It is, at least in the UK, although there are a few still advertised as
"new" here.

>Your $3000 450mh pentium or Powermac G3 will be worth maybe $500 in three
>years. Your Leica, Mamiya, or Oly will be worth nearly what you paid, maybe
>more.
>
>That's called Total Cost of Ownership!

What's a first generation digital camera worth now, after a couple of
years?  My £175 OM-2SP is still worth, well, at least £175.

Compare the digital and wet darkrooms as well......  Potentially lower
materials costs are soon gobbled up by equipment depreciation.  And I'll
bet my last enlarger bulb that in 30 years' time you won't be able to get
Zip drives and whatever repaired, so what of your archived digital pix

Happy New Year to all!
Richard