Re: [OM] Camera store visit

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera store visit
From: GMA <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 18:17:09 -0800
Zuiks;

I just got home after a trip to a local high volume camera store -
namely San Jose Camera.  I went there to purchase my daughter a Xmas
present - namely the Stylus Epic Dlx. Salesman threw in a 3volt lithium
cause it's Xmas!  He mentioned what a great lens the Epic has and how
unfortunate it is that P&S buyers get caught up with zoom fever.  They
end up shooting at 105mm and F/9 thru an inferior lens to boot.  As we
finished up I mentioned how happy I'd be if Olympus would bring out some
new OM equipment.  That made his day! "Ain't gonna happen" were his last
words.

Other observations: I saw an F5 on display. At first I mistook it for a
cinder block painted black. Jeez, that thing is HUGE.  For those who've
yet to see one, in OM terms, I'd estimate the F5 body only to be about
the size of a 4T with an MD2, control pack2, bounce grip 2 and T-32
flash. :>)

Also, listened to a salesmans' shpiel on digital cameras. Customer was
trying to decide between one of the Nikons, a big Sony and the Oly 600L
and 620L.  Based on what I heard, Olys' got this market by the tail and
ain't gonna let go.  The 2 Olys had more features, more pixels and they
look way cooler than the others.  I didn't stick around to see which one
walked out the door.  At $849 and $1169, I can't even think about either
of these right now.  Must admit, though, even if he was talking about
digital cameras, it sorta got me all choked up when he talked up Olympus
and trashed the competition. I haven't heard that in a camera store
since the early 80s.

George