OT Re: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)

Subject: OT Re: [OM] Digital/chemical=CD/vinyl? (non-OM)
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:49:33 +0000
Dave Haynie wrote:

>True, there are enough folks who can tell
>the difference to create a market for $8000 turntables

this is part of a misconception, that only high-end equipment shows any
difference.  My £200 Rega is *musically* more capable than any £1000+ CD
player.  Period.  However, I've finally started buying the silver discs.

>It's impossible to say that, eventually, digital won't match the range
>of resolution and color that we get with the chemical processes. But they
>have had a 100-or-so-year head start.

I have no problem with that possibility.  FWIW there is currently no
comparison, in practical terms (print quality) or personal (life quality -
that is, enjoyment of hands-on darkroom work).  It's like comparing a
handmade oak table with a plastic garden chair.  No-one doubts you can't sit
on the chair, but everyone will say "what a nice table, who made that?".
Clicking a mouse just doesn't compare.  There is also the pleasure in
*creating* something of personal value, which is surely why we're all taking
photos in the first place.

Simon E.