Re: [OM] People leaving the List

Subject: Re: [OM] People leaving the List
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:31:16 -0800

>We have lost many people through the past couple of years that really built
>the style of the list.  Remember Gary trying to pick up the woman with the
>really cheep shift lens?  Dorothy?

I remember that!  Seems she left the list shortly after Gary's overtures.
Maybe they did a face-to-face ala "You've got Mail" and she got scared away
:>)  (Hey - It's 'Get Gary Day'   Impeach him!   He's scaring away all the
women! <g>)

>Over the past two years that I've been on the list there have been many
>come and go.  The newcomers usually assume that this list is like others
>and practice standard netequette (or lack of) which just gets people riled
>up.  Before you get all bent out of shape about some OT posts, just
>remember that this is like a gathering around a campfire.  You can go from
>conversation to conversation participating in what you want or adding to
>the conversation where appropriate.  If a particular topic doesn't interest
>you or bothers you, just ignore it and try contributing a new topic to the
>list.  Instead of getting all upset about the German posts, I decided to
>introduce a couple new subjects to the list instead.  Just maybe a new
>lively topic such as dumping olympus and going nikon would distract from
>the "Viva la France" types of disagreements.
>
>Why is it that we offend so easily in these email groups.  Why do we
>automatically assume that we are bashing someone, something, or whatever
>all the time?  Is this how we communicate with our wives (pluralism???) and
>kids?  Of course not.  This is not an afternoon TV talk show where you need
>bouncers to keep the slimeballs from killing each other.
>
>Before hitting that "send" button just reread your post to make sure it is
>saying what you want it to say and read it like everybody else would read
>it.  If you want to flame, do it off-line.  This list doesn't need that
>garbage.  YES, THAT INCLUDES YOU!

Very well said, thoughtful post, Ken.  Thanks.  And though some may not
believe it, I ALWAYS reread my posts before I send 'em!

Merry Xmas to all.

George