[OM] OM Quality images

Subject: [OM] OM Quality images
From: KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:25:22 EST
HELLO All

I Hope all is going well with you.
I have a question about film processing.

I just got prints back from my son's school recital and play.  In
general, the negatives are fine (within a stop or less). The
lab auto processor then takes the good negatives and looks for
neutral gray and manages to make the black stage curtain gray an
blows out the kid's faces to white - with no detail. This was at
a local lab. I have had similar results at photoquick, etc

I went to a pro Industral Color Lab (ICL) and showed them the results. They
agreed that the negatives are ok but that the prints are lousy.They will be
redoing a few of them to 8x10 as keepers.

So, either I spend $12 or more per 4x6 at a place like ICL and
get half decent 'snap shots' or I spend $10 a roll  and get
 lousy prints that I am ashamed to show anyone.

 Or I take chromes and make interneg's and print or ilfochrome and
 pay about $20 per image.

(Assuming that I don't want to build my own dark room) have you any
suggestions?  There must be a middle of the road way to get prints that are
quality and price between competition/professional (ie $12-$20 each plus
proof) grade and poor to useless (ie $12/roll).

 Sincerely,

 Ken Manuelian
 KenK1ZYW@xxxxxxx

 ps