Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Has the time come for the unthinkable?
From: "Richard Dale" <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:00:33 +0000
I think far too many people are seduced by the so-called endless
possibilities provided by buttons, lcd display panels and 1/8000sec shutter
speeds.  It's a triumph of marketing when we buy such things, because
they've convinced us we need something other than what we have already.

I,ve often wondered why you need any more than 1/1000, 950f my shots are
taken at 1/60 (don't get camera shake) to get depth of field (obviously
depending on the focal length and the distance from subject).

A shutter with that capability must be more fragile, is that the case?

You don't have to buy them, don't forget most amateurs buy a camera for the
features, to boast on how good it is, therefore how good their taste is. If
they do find the bells and whistles useful all well and good. But surely
the glass is most important.

You have to accept though that technology has improved the art of picture
taking, eg MS metering is pretty useful.