[OM] my opinion about IS

Subject: [OM] my opinion about IS
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:10:50 +0200
Hello,
there was some discussion about the optical image stabilizer in some Canon
lenses. I do not think, that I go and buy EOS because of these IS lenses,
but in fact the technic is impressive when built in binoculars. I have
tried these Canon binoculars several times in shops and must say, there is
an great advantage for people who must see details and have to hold the
binocular in their hands (I imagine bird watcher, who are seeking for
details for identifying a species). The pure optical quality of these
binoculars was less impresssive, by the way, but sufficient. I found the
technic impressive because I can not imagine how a electronic can be so
fast, that it follows each motion of the hands or even the motion of the
vibration of a helicopter.
But now the 28-135mm 1:3,5-5,6 lens. As one can see, the lens has at 135mm,
where the IS is must important, an aperture of 5,6. After the
Canon-modified rule, that the shortest time should be the reciprocal focal
lengt plus two apertures, an ordinary 135mm 1:2,8 lens should be as good as
this sophisticated zoom for handheld photography. Nowadays the industry
tells to you, that a zoom 28-105mm 1:3,5-4,5 is very bright, but an old
135mm 1:3,5 is very poor with regard to the aperture. Just imagine, would
you buy a under-average 105mm 1:4,5 prime lens, but such a zoom lens is
that, if you use the 105mm position.  The situation is different with the
300mm 1:4, because this lens should behave like a 300mm 1:2, if Canon is
right. The argument, that there will always be very fast tele lenses (like
a real 300mm 1:2) does not count, because you could integrate an IS in such
a lens, too (which would behave like a 300mm, 1:1 lens).
Matthias