Re: Subject: [OM] TTL connectors

Subject: Re: Subject: [OM] TTL connectors
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 16:03:03 +1100
Dr. Chris Barrett wrote:

>I've been looking. The nearest I can find is a 5 pin made by Fischer
>in Germany, but it is not compatible.

Well done. The smallest I found here was a 9-pin mouse connector
or the good old 5-pin DIN. Both are too big to do a nice job
with the method you went on to describe.

>I had in mind to buy 0.3m TTL cables and cut them in half, and then
>reconnect them using a Fischer in-line male and female.

If it looks at all home-made you might have problems trying
to take it onto a plane. (I'm guessing here.) A cable with
hand-soldered plugs at both ends looks OK; something moulded
at one end and hand-soldered at the other doesn't. Your work
would need to be neat.

Actually, I did build such a cable using half a dead curly
cable, the shoe from a dead Vivitar flash, and 9-pin mouse
plugs. The mouse plugs caused handling problems because of
their size and weight, and needed hamster tape for a
reliable connection (as they always seem to with mice.) The
Fischer plug might solve those problems. The cable Olympus
use was stiffer than that I was using for the midsection.