Re: Subject: [OM] TTL connectors

Subject: Re: Subject: [OM] TTL connectors
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 08:41:16 GMT
On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 10:58:46 -0000, "Dr. Chris Barrett"
<cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Frank Ernens wrote:
>
>What I would really like is to buy those 5-pin female connectors
>and make up my own cords to the lengths I like from cable which
>will actually roll up out of the way when I'm walking. Does
>anyone know whether these plugs are standard outside Olympus?
>

>I've been looking. The nearest I can find is a 5 pin made by
>Fischer in Germany, but it is not compatible.
>
>It is also as expensive as the Olympus cable at £15 per plug!
>
>I had considered using them to make a multi way adaptor,
>since the OM ones are so rare.
>I had in mind to buy 0.3m TTL cables and cut them in half,
>and then reconnect them using a Fischer in-line male and female.
>Then all I would need would be a small box fitted with panel
>mounting plugs and sockets paralleled together. I could
>then run from the camera to the box, and then run out several
>cables to flash guns.
>
>Purists may of course wince at the thought of cutting OM cables!
>
>Chris Barrett

Hi Chris, Frank and others.

I have never seen any female sockets or connectors, other than the
built-in ones on the Olympus equipment.
The auto multi-connectors aren't that rare, but they are expensive
($25-35 for a used one is normal).

You could always make a dedicated multi-connector yourself, more or
less the way you described, with up to eight or nine outlets.
You have to construct a box with the wished number of 4- or 5-pin
sockets of your choice wired parallel (only 4 wires are connected,
afaik). Then you cut some 5 meter TTL cables in two (making sensible
lengths for your purpose) and attach a plug corresponding to the
sockets you used on the freshly cut end.

I think that building your own m.c. only makes sense if you want to
use more than three flashguns at the same time. For three or less
flashes buying one multi-connector and four cables will be more
economical.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.