[OM] "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [OM] "c.e. packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:58:41 -0800
Good buy on that Oly 2x! I paid $100 for mine, and thought THAT was a
decent deal!

BTW: could you please turn off HTML in your email program? Most readers are
using text-based mail readers, and it comes out looking like the following:

>- --------------27508BBD5140390C82652D21
>
><HTML>
>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Well, there was a photo flea market held Saturday Dec.
>5 here in Birmingham, Alabama. I thought I'd give a short report of the
>event.
><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A small venue as it turned out, maybe twenty tables
>and a dozen vendors, including the "test your camera here" guys. This was
>fortunate since the whole event was crammed into to two small dining rooms
>at a local Holiday Inn. The $4.25 admission was steep but I forked it over
>anyway, thinking only of the bargains to be had. Fortunately the crowd
>was sightly smaller than the aisles were wide. Only enough room for two
>people to pass each other comfortably add in a third person standing at
>a table and the space got tight!
><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Olympus and Zuiko pickings were rather slim only
>three vendors had any stock to offer, although a couple of others said
>they had some but did not bring the items with them. I saw only one OM-1n
>(black body) priced at $205.00, a couple of OM-2n's priced between $250.00
>and $295.00 One OM-2S with the proud price of $395.00 and a couple of OM-10's
>( No manual adapters) $115.00 &amp; $140.00 and one OM-88 about $175.00.
>Did I mention that these were bodies only!! Cosmetically they looked good
>(little brassing and no dings). All needed new foam and probably should
>be checked out. Especially the OM-88, it made some weird noises when I
>advanced the film lever and fired the shutter. So doing the math I passed
>them all by. Apparently the word has spread that the OM-1 series with their
>lock-up mirrors are becoming the camera of choice with the astro-photography
>group; that may be fueling the price hikes among bodies?&nbsp; Maybe it
>will convince Olympus to start producing them again, maybe??
><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Lenses were also slim pickings a few 50/1.8 &amp;
>1.4's $40.00 and up. A single 28/3.5 for 75.00 (too much), a single 200/4
>for $150.00 (good price, lousy glass). And couple of 135/3.5 for $45.00
>&amp; $65.00. I picked up the $45.00 one (nice lens, e.zuiko auto-T 135/3.5).
><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Accesories pickings were also relatively slim, with
>one exception, Caps. Lots of caps for all manufacturers available for $3.00
>a pop. It was like digging through the scavenged remains of countless dead
>bodies and lenses, eerie sort of. Also lots of filters available in all
>sizes, effects and colors.
><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Finally, I did run across a couple of really good
>bargains, a shoe-4 for $15.00 (no cracks), an extension tube set 7,14 &amp;
>25mm Non-Oly (mint) for 20.00 and an Olympus 2x teleconverter ex+ for $15.00
>(Heh,Heh,Heh...). All in all a hundred or so bucks spent. I'm happy. I
>hope my girlfriend&nbsp; likes the lady schick I got her for Christmas.
>
><P>- Charles
>
><P><U>Some thoughts on buying used equipment:</U>
> [...]

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229