Re: [OM] Online auction editorial (Off topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Online auction editorial (Off topic)
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 17:27:28 -0600
        NOW LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!

        With all this talk of auctions and garage sales and pawns shops
and bargain OM's I just couldn't take it any longer.  The urge was
uncontrollable!
        When I went to lunch today, I grabbed a Big Mac and Fries and
headed to the nearest pawn shop.  Fortunately, The only thing Olympus in
the display case was an IS - something @ $319.00.  Breathing a sigh of
relief, and pulling my hand away from my wallet, I turned to leave.  Just
then the owner says "Whacha lookin' for?"  I mentioned Olympus and he
said "Just a minute, I got some behind the counter I wasn't gonna put out
for a coupla weeks yet."
        He tossed 4 bags of stuff on the counter, told me to dig through
it, and holler at him if I found anything interesting and he'd put a
price on it.  Under several off brand zooms for nikon, probably 20 cokin
filters (all loose in a bag), miscellaneous pc cords, etc, an OM 10,(just
average cosmetics) and an OMPC, (nothing special) there was an OM2n, mint
cosmetically, with 50mm f1.8., so I held it up hollered how much.
        He yelled back "$125.00 for the body and $40 for the lens."
        I told him no thanks, I got two already, just thinking this one
might be good for spare parts since the foams all gooey in this thing and
its a full stop off on the meter! (Pawn ticket on it was 7/94) He ran
over and looked at the foam in the back, told me I could have the body
for $50.00. I told him to throw in a body cap (of which there were none
in the bag) and he had a deal.
        He wanted to know why I didn't want the lens, so I showed him the
sluggish operation of the aperture and the obvious oil on the blades.  He
asked if the oil could get out of the lens into the camera, and I had to
tell him I didn't see how, and then he turned around and convinced me to
accept the lens in lieu of a body cap!  The deal also included shoe 4,
with the required crack, strap, and LITHIUM battery.
        First thing I did when I got back to the car was drop the Lithium
cell in the trash bag and install my spare 357's from the glove box,
viola, the meter matched readings with my other OM2n I keep in the car!
Now if the oil on the blades will just go back where it belongs?
        Now, do I say to my wife, "Gee whiz honey, look here in my camera
closet.  My OM's are multiplying!!"  Or should I try to convince her the
Gods of Olympus wouldn't have forced it on me if I wasn't meant to have
this camera??  Naw, I think I'll just put it in the closet. Maybe in a
year or two she'll notice something different, say something to the
effect of "didn't you only have 5 camera bodies?", and I'll say "No, I've
ALWAYS had six, what planet have you been on!"
        See what you did to me!!

        I too am a Zuikoholic.........I wonder if I should go back
tomorrow and look at that OMPC with the generic winder?  I bet I could
get it for $100.00, maybe he'd throw in another body cap?

Daryl Hurley