Re: [OM] Online auction editorial (Off topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Online auction editorial (Off topic)
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:00:22 -0600 (CST)

> I've been tracking this thread all along. Doris is right on the money
> when she suggests that you don't go to Ebay for "deals", you go there
> along with thousands of others who are looking to acquire what they
> need, want, desire or crave. It is frustrating at times but it is
> ultimately quite fair since it is based entirely on a simple choice:
> how badly do you want an item and how much are you willing to spend for it?
>     Bob
>
>   Bob Christopher                   Littleton, Colorado

You don't find garage-sale deals, but if you know what things sell for you
can find very good deals. One list member, a short while back, scored a
T-power control, T-10, and, I think, a battery pack for $76. An 8mm fisheye
just sold for a good bit less than most dealers want. Then you see
people paying $40 for lens hood! There is one guy out there right now
who is buying everything in sight at prices that are usually well above
Keh.

If you actually want to buy an item, you pretty much have to bid your
max in the last minute. Otherwise people creep the bid up to your max, then
top it. Just think of it as a sealed-bid auction, where you have to turn
in your bid at the last moment. I haven't seen much sign, in the photo
section, of the shilling, shielding, fake feedback, etc. that i hear
is plaguing the rag-and-bone-merchant sections like "beanie babies".
Don't bother with Pittsburgh Camera auctions. I wonder if they report
sales on items that don't make reserve to ebay and pay the fees:)
Most people seem to be wise to them now, and many of their items get no bid.

Paul