Re: [OM] Garage sailing 11/28/98

Subject: Re: [OM] Garage sailing 11/28/98
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Nov 1998 13:15:25 +1000
Shawn Wright <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> On 30 Nov 98, at 10:48, Christopher Biggs wrote:
>
> > Pentax Takumar 85mm/1.8 lens, $4.  Screw mount.  Anyone know where
> >     to get an M42 to OM adaptor?
> >
> I assume M42 and T mount are not the same?

Alas, no. (Actually, I thought so too at the time I bought the lens).

> How much different is the M42 mount?

Just enough to be pointlessly aggravating.

M42 (aka Pentax Screw-Mount) is 42mm x 1mm.

T mount is 42mm x 0.75mm.

Tamron introduced the 42mm T mount in competition with the existing
42mm Pentax mount and 39mm Leica mount.  Tamron also used a different
mount-to-film distance (for a good reason).  As far as I can tell, they
changed the thread-pitch for no good reason (perhaps to allow a
lower-profile mount?)

I know my local store will order me an adapter for either of the above
(probably taking forever)---and I plan to phone around trying to find
somebody with one in stock.  I was wondering if anyone knew a
mailorder place (or any other source) that has adaptors.

B+H and Freestyle's catalogs both make no mention.   I hear Cambridge
have them, but I also hear---other things---about that establishment.

BTW, source of much of the above info:

        http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/bronmounts.html

cjb.

--
(setq sender '( (name . "Christopher Biggs") (email . "chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx")
                (employer . "Stallion Technologies") (ph . "+61 7 3270-4266")