Re[2]: [OM] Camera Bag Suggestions?

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Camera Bag Suggestions?
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 23:14:06 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:17:00 -0600, rockwell@xxxxxxxx jammed all night, and by
sunrise was overheard remarking:

> I'm totally sold on the quality and design of LowePro bags - I probably
> have half a dozen. Presently I'm using a Nova 3 to hold an OM-4T, T-20
> flash, 200 f4, 135 f2.8, 16 Fisheye, and 28 f2.8. The front pocket holds
> film & light meter, extra film in mesh side pockets. It still has room
> for another small lens. Advantage is that it's relatively small and
> light - MUCH smaller and MUCH, MUCH lighter than the Commercial AW.

I have a couple different bags for day trips when I know which lenses I
want (and know I won't need the big SunPak flash), one small hard case
dating back to when I used to cycle around town with my OM-1 on missions
for the local paper. I also have a big "junk bag" full of wires, small
tripods, etc. What I'm looking for right now is a large bag that'll
carry most of what I have, and safely. I have been overloading my
current larger bag, things don't quite fit.

> I'm not knocking the Commercial, I just think it's bigger than you
> need. The Commercial could probably hold one of everything Oly makes!
> I'd encourage you to try to find a store with a selection and actually
> handle the bags.

I will if I can find it locally, but I'm not exactly in a metropolitan
area. The few mall stores in the area cater to smaller systems -- you
might find a bag big enough for the typical Yuppie setup (an expensive
electronic SLR with one or two zooms and a shoe-mount flash), that's
about it.

> Size can be very deceptive.

One reason I'm trying to learn a little more about the bags. The specs
for the Magnum AW sound about right (I usually want three bodies, they
recommend two, but I think it would work), but looking at the specs
on-line, the thing measures out virtually the same as my KIWI bag now.
Which isn't large enough, not close. I'm willing to believe the LowePro
folks are more talented at folding space, but only so much.

> What works great out of a
> car can be terrible when carried on the shoulder for a morning.

I'm not too concerned about the weight. Though I have a suspicion that
if the LowePros are as nice as everyone is saying (a friend's recommendation
turned me on to them in the first plce), I will decide I need a smaller
one to add to my small bag collections. Maybe I should plan ahead and
get two smaller ones? Hmmm....

I guess the folks who mention the 10 or 20 bags in their closet have a
point (I only have five in there now -- well, a few in the attic). I
need at least one new one, without getting too crazy here, since I
really need to spend my hard-earned cash on lenses and lumber...

Thanks to everyone for good advice on this.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One