[OM] metering/Latitude (was T32 washout, & 28-80mm F2.8 Zuiko??)

Subject: [OM] metering/Latitude (was T32 washout, & 28-80mm F2.8 Zuiko??)
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:24:51 -0800
I have to agree with Morgan here.  Most processing labs are focused on C-41
processing in high volumes with very automated equipment.  In my experience,
all of them cut corners to reduce costs and keep "production" up.  They
stretch the chemistry by reducing the replenishment rates, skip running
control strips on a rigorous schedule and accept temperature variances
within customer complaint, not process specs.  The average 35mm print
shooter is not discriminating enough to even notice.

I typically set my ISO 1/3 stop slower than the rated ISO for negative
films, which I use almost exclusively.  It gives the shadow detail I want
without losing highlights.  Negative (C-41) film can tolerate a _lot_ of
over exposure - as much as 2 full stops - before the negative is basically
junk.  For 1/2 stop over, an excellent print can be made by simply adjusting
the print exposure a little more.  Also, the lab's processing could have
been a little off that day - nearly oxidized developer or under temperature
developer would yeild that same result.  I seriously doubt the processing
time was off as this is pretty much fixed in these machines.  If they hadn't
calibrated the color analyzer in awhile, that too could account for the
washed out color.  Lots of things can, and do, go wrong if the lab is not
diligent.

I second the recommendation to return the film to the lab (or find another
lab maybe) and reprint.

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far"

Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> replied to: