Re: [OM] metering/Latitude (was T32 washout, & 28-80mm F2.8 Zuiko??)

Subject: Re: [OM] metering/Latitude (was T32 washout, & 28-80mm F2.8 Zuiko??)
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:05:10 -0500
James A.Lumley wrote:

> So, if i get this correctly, the DX coding on a film can also contain
> information about the exposure lattitude of the film. If so then how
> does the metering take this into account?

Presumably by exposing for the highlights with slides, and for the
shadows with negatives, although I over-simplify: Metering these days
involves serious number-crunching in the camera, and is also dependent
on the selected program.

> I have had rolls of print film recently in my E#S/28mm in which several
> prints were slightly overexposed (1/2 stop), enough to ruin the colour

James, I think you might have a printing problem here.  I cannot imagine
any modern color neg. that would be harmed by a 1/2 stop overexposure.
In fact moderate overexposure should improve the grain and shadow detail
without losing much if anything in the highlights, or color saturation.
Try taking the negs. back to the lab and requesting darker prints.

Morgan Sparks