Re: [OM] Meter readings with 600mm telephoto

Subject: Re: [OM] Meter readings with 600mm telephoto
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 19:24:15 +0100
Ben Poels wrote:
> I have a 600mm Soligor telephoto that I picked up in a package
> deal on some used Olympus equipment. This lens is not auto
> but I have it side wide open at f8. It consistently meters at a shutter
> speed four times slower than my other lenses meter at on the same
> camera and also set to f8. This lens is in mint condition and was
> supposedly never used. Is it just a very junky lens?

Hi Ben,
if f/8 is the maximum perture for this lens, it might just be rated a bit
optimistically (many are). You might try the same comparison at f/16 or 22.
Furthermore, the f-stop doesn't directly define the amount of light that is
transmitted through a lens (and thus the shutter-speed). Transmittance is
influenced by the total amount of glass, number of air to glass surfaces etc. as
well.
I guess, whether it's a junky lens or not depends on whether you like the
pictures it takes. And carrying a 600 around certainly saves on expenses for
body-building ;-)
Cheers,
Soenke, Hamburg