Re: [OM] Meter readings with 600mm telephoto

Subject: Re: [OM] Meter readings with 600mm telephoto
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 15:37:36 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:52:56 PST you write:
>>From: "C. Hertzler" <hertzler@xxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>If it is a T-mount lens, then all bets are off for proper metering,
>>>because the T-mount manufacuturer has no idea about the speed of the
>>>lens it will be mounted on.
>>
>>That is not necessary. The lens gives only a relative aperture
>>information to the camera. In an automatic lens, it tells the
>>camera: "I am open", or "I am set to x stops below open". In a T
>>mount lens, it is always  in the open position...
>
>I beg to differ. I have a T-mount that is right on, and another that is two
>stops off. I can swap them on the same lens and see the difference on the
>meter, and I can measure the position of the coupling pin and detect a
>difference.

This is not the same thing as saying "If it is a T-mount lens, then
all bets are off for proper metering, because the T-mount manufacuturer
has no idea about the speed of the lens it will be mounted on." !!!

Your first statement implies that you will not likely ever get a proper
meter reading with a T-mounted lens, regardless of whether it is properly
constructed or not.  I think that this is the statement that Herr Hertzler
was taking exception to --- it is not a correct statement.  While I agree
with you that if the T-mount is constructed incorrectly then proper
readings will be impossible, it is not *generally* true about T-mounts.

Cheers,
--Lee