Re: [OM] OM-3T brassing

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3T brassing
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:04:18 +0100
Frank van Lindert wrote:

> >Denton@xxxxxxxx writes:
> ><< Please, not a match! A heat gun is the proper thing to use; lacking one a
> > hair dryer will probably do the trick. >>

An hair dryer woudn´t be hot enough, thats good so, cause you didn´t
want to fry neither your hair nor your skin. You need a temperature
aproaching 100°C to shrink the tube.
Matches wouldn´t be convenient, because they´ll burn only a short time.
I use a candle flame, so I´m able to regulate the heat with the distance
to the flame.
Be careful not to overheat the tube, it will start to melt at 125°C.
Actualy the interior of the tube will be not as hot as the outside
surface. I measured temperatures over 55°C. It´s good, that it isn´t
more, because my camera strap is of plastic and accumulators don´t like
heat neither.

> I share this experience. For the tubes with a thicker wall, especially
> the ones with a glue coating inside (for strength and waterproof
> shrinking)

The glue coated ones aren´t the prefered ones, if you ever intend to
remove the tube from the strap.

Regards

Richard