Re: [OM] T-45 NiCa battery charger... Question...

Subject: Re: [OM] T-45 NiCa battery charger... Question...
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 00:18:26 -0500 (EST)
>I have a T-45, and two NiCa batteries for it.  I've got the charger, which
>has a pilot light on it, but the instructions are not clear as to wether
>the charger automatically goes off when the battery is charged.

The charger is basically just a simple transformer connected directly
to the batteries via a resistor and a diode.  The led just indicates that
the battery is plugged in and connected to the transformer.

>Knowing the delicate nature of NiCa batteries from other equipment I use, I
>don't want to under, or overcharge the batteries, as the former causes
>storage memory and decreased capacity, and the latter can cause even more
>significant damage.
>
>Since I can not determine the state of discharge, I don't know how long to
>charge for.  Any suggestions on how to go about charging these batteries?

I'm actually in the middle of rebuilding my T45 battery pack.  I'm using
20 standard 700mAh AA cells to replace the ones that were originally in
the pack.  The pack consists of 5 groups of 4 AA cells.  The charger says
it delivers 5.6V at 470mA so that works out to 94mA per group.  It should
then take about 7.5 hours (700/94) to fully charge a discharged pack.
This corresponds roughly to the 8 hours that Olympus recommends.  For a
good discussion on charging NiCad's, take a look a the following URL:
http://www.vencon.com/articles/index.html

                        -mark