[OM] Car Charger for 15V NiCd control pack ?

Subject: [OM] Car Charger for 15V NiCd control pack ?
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:27:03 -0800
>From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
>
>Hi All,
>This discussion has reminded me of something I have been wanting to do.
>
>Has anyone made a charger for the Control Pack to be charged off a Car
>"cigarette lighter" plug, like we have with our cellular phones?

You would probably be better off plugging your AC charger into a cheap
inverter. 100W inverters are available for about $50.

It is simple to build a charger for up to six or seven NiCD cells from an
LM381 IC, a resistor, and two capacitors, but it can only charge stacks of
NiCD cells that total less than Vss - 3. Since "Vss" in car battery is 12.6
volts, and the motor drive battery is 15V, you need to boost the car
battery voltage in order to charge the 15V battery, and the simplest, least
expensive way to do that is to simply use a 117VAC inverter and the Olympus
charger.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229