Re: [OM] Car Charger for 15V NiCd control pack ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Car Charger for 15V NiCd control pack ?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 16:04:46 -0800
On 8 Nov 98, at 12:02, ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> ;Hi All,
> This discussion has reminded me of something I have been wanting to do.
>
> Has anyone made a charger for the Control Pack to be charged off a Car
> "cigarette lighter" plug, like we have with our cellular phones?

I never liked the car charger on my old cell phone (Nokia with NiMH battery) -
it charged fast, but the charge did not last as long, and I always worried that
it might cook the battery.
When it got stolen, I did not want to buy a new car charger, so I tried the AC
charger plugged into a small "Statpower" inverter (about $50-100 CDN) which
I got recently. It seems to work just fine. The inverter is quite small,
although
still bulkier than a car charger alone. I'll leave the inverter in the car, and
just
grab the AC adapter when needed.

I see it as having two advantages: I don't have to worry about "quick"
chargers damaging the batteries, and I can use it with any AC adapter for
video camera, etc. With a splitter, one could even charge several devices at
once (while driving of course) without worrying too much, since the inverter is
rated at 125W, and most chargers only draw 25W or less.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)