[OM] OT PC power supplies

Subject: [OM] OT PC power supplies
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 16:07:14 +1100
This is totally off topic. Please delete if you want

Last night my PC power supply would not work. So I removed it and had a
look. Blew out tonnes (we are metric) of dust. Worked fine. Bolted it all
up, wouldn't start. Ripped it out again and removed the circuit board.
Nothing obvious. Blew it out some more worked fine. Put it back it worked,
then nothing. Then worked.

A mate said "I know nothing about electronics, but spin the fan with a
pencil and it will start up". He sells computers. So I did this. Worked
fine. Then I vacuumed the thing out. Working fine. I'll replace the power
supply fan and the processor fan though. The mate says he replaces the power
supply at $50 a pop. But I suspect (read guess) the fan is getting old and
it's start up requirements cause the power supply to limit and not start.
Spinning the fan removes this load and the power supply starts. I'll see
when I replace the fan.

Just thought I would pass this on as everyone on the list must use a
computer of some sort.

Totally off topic.

Foxy