[OM] Re: Tokina SZ-X 60-300 (was "Trips to the Woods")

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina SZ-X 60-300 (was "Trips to the Woods")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 19:25:06 -0600
At 10:58 PM 11/5/1998 -0800, Gary Schloss wrote:

>The equipment involved was:
>[snip]
>>      Tokina SZ-X 60-300/f4-5.6
>[snip]
>
>IMHO, this zoom lens did a very credible job.  (Of course, I recommended
>it to Joel, so my objectivity is questionnable at best :-))
>
>Cheers,
>

>/Gary Schloss.
>Studio City, CA
>schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Gary, you're being coy!  I happen to know, folks, that unless somebody got
lucky in the last couple of weeks Gary has a mint example of this lens for
sale.

As for it's credibility, it is probably hard to assess fully in 72 dpi
scans on the WWW. I do however believe that while not quite a Zuiko it is
certainly no slouch. Since it focuses to about 5 feet, I've enjoyed it most
for quasi-macro work and for what it can do at 300mm.  Those are the two
things I can't get any other way (lacking extension tubes and a Zuiko
300/f4.5).  One certainly discovers the weaknesses of one's tripod at
300mm. I'm fairly certain I haven't really seen all it can do yet.

The design must be very canny. Physically it is your basic 67mm cylinder.
At infinity it is about 6 inches long at 60mm.  1:4 close focus increases
its length about 3/4 inch. The focusing ring/zoom collar goes from the
stop-down ring to the front end of the lens. At 300mm its length is about
the same as a Zuiko 200mm/f4 with shade extended, and the overall weight of
the Tokina is about the same as the Zuiko 200, perhaps a trifle heavier.

Joel