Re: [OM] Fill flash with T-20

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill flash with T-20
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 17:44:14 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, John Gaasland wrote:

> I know this has been gone over before, but I read about a person who
> used cloth to cover the output of the T-20 to cut the light in half
> during fill flash.

  This must have been in deepest shade or for macro use, because the T-20
is woefully underpowered for use with ISO 64-100 films, specially at the
OM max synch of 1/60th. Maybe they were using ISO 800. With auto, the
camera would simply hit the quench mark, and stop. In manual, that's
another matter, but the OM linear flash dial should tell you the exposure
(and possible need, if any, for diffusing the flash). I would strongly
suggest running tests before trying this on anything important, like a
Costa Rican trip...manual flash fill is a little difficult to understand
(the little Kodak Photoguide has two innocous looking but tremendously
helpful charts on this), but once you grasp it, extreme flash control can
be yours, with almost any unit.
  Frankly, before getting in the 1-2 layers of tissue business with the
flash, I'd advise getting a good Sunpak, or 283 maybe 285 flash unit, (get
the vario-power module for the 283) and learning to work it in manual.

                                      *= Doris Fang =*