Re: [OM] eBay *and* Classifieds2000 craziness!

Subject: Re: [OM] eBay *and* Classifieds2000 craziness!
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 01:20:46 -0800
Garth Wood wrote:
>Some of you may remember that I was involved in bidding on a 16mm fisheye
lens on C2000 awhile ago.  I didn't complete the >transaction 'cause the
gent who was advertising it lost his ad on C2000 for the final three days of
the auction, which means that I >"lucked out" by having no competitive
bidders.  I told him that I wouldn't hold him to it, and that he should
re-list.

>Well, did he ever.  He's re-listed both on eBay and C2000, and has even
offered the lens on C2000 at the price of the latest bid >he's got on eBay.
Worse, he informs people on C2000 that the lens is still on eBay "until
Friday evening."  What, if anything, is >going on in this gent's mind?

Garth,

I noticed that the seller has no feedback rating at e-Bay, which tells me he
has probably never bought or sold there before. He is obviously thinking
that if he receives a better offer on C2000, he will close the auction early
on e-Bay and refuse to sell to the high bidder. He can do this, but it will
get him expelled from e-bay. He probably either doesn't realize this or
doesn't care as this is his first and maybe only time as a seller.

I have bought and sold quite a bit on e-Bay, and been an observer on C2000.
It's my observation that C2000 will probably not bring a higher price than
e-Bay, so I doubt he will get a better offer on C2000. The current high bid
on e-Bay, $450, is obviously an excellent price. However, I believe it will
go higher. I do not personally know the high bidder. His bidder id is
austin10, no relation. His actual e-mail id is folney@xxxxxxx . I do know
from observation that he started bidding on e-Bay in May, 1998, and has a
feedback rating of 197, which means he's completed an awfully lot of
transactions in 6 months.

I have bid against him a few times. He buys a lot of Olympus. I don't know
if he's a dealer or a collector, or just a user with deep pockets. He might
even be a list member, but I don't think so. I have a feeling that he will
go higher than the $450 he has bid, considering the Zuiko 16mm/f3.5 in the
mint condition stated would be worth probably closer to $600. If you want
the lens, I would bid on e-bay as high as I could afford and hopefully you
will be high bidder. I definitely wouldn't worry what's going through the
mind of the seller. Just my $.02 worth.

Regards,
John Austin