Re: [OM] OM-1 vs OM-1n?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 vs OM-1n?
From: "John Austin" <j_austin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 13:25:22 -0800
Shawn Wright wrote:
>I was rushed, so I didn't take a close look at the 1n. I understand the
only
>differences are: flash ready light with T flashes, and approx 5 years newer
>manufacture date on the 1n.

Actually, the OM-1n could be up to 15 years newer than the OM-1, if I
remember correctly. The OM-1 was first manufactured in 1972. The OM-1n was
last manufactured in 1987. That particular OM-1n COULD BE much newer than
that particular OM-1. It seems that I also remember John H. mentioning that
the OM-1n was internally improved over the OM-1 in several areas, making it
more reliable.

But at only another $21 over the OM-1n, you might consider the OM-2S. Unless
you feel that you need the mechanical shutter of the OM-1n, the OM-2S might
make a better companion to your present OM-4T. The OM-2S has the same basic
body and feel as the OM-4T, as well as offering spot metering and program,
both of which can come in handy. The OM-2S can also use the brighter 2-x
series focusing screens without upsetting the calibration of the meter, and
can use silver oxide batteries which are much easier to find than mercury
cells.

Regards,
John Austin