[OM] Olympus MO Drive

Subject: [OM] Olympus MO Drive
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 19:18:14 -0500
After mulling over the pros and cons, I acquired an Olympus MO drive (SYS.230).
I was afraid of using my first SCSI device on my computer (I have installed a
CDR on my brother's computer, so it is not the first time ever I have used a
SCSI device), but since my need to store 500MBs of graphic files became very
urgent, I ordered a SYS.230 on Wednesday, and got it delivered on Thursday, and
installed the SCSI card and the MO drive on Friday morning.
I was surprised to find that the installation of an MO drive is much easier than
that of a Zip drive.  The drive I purchased came with one blank MO disk and I
also received a pack of 5 disks at the same time.  I was impressed with the
thinness of the MO disk, only a tiny bit thicker than a floppy and it can store
ca. 200 times more bytes.  The Olympus MO disk comes with a lifetime warranty.
I feel more secure about my data being stored on the MO disk.  I am pretty
certain I will outgrow the 230MB capacity soon, but the good thing about the MO
drive is that if I get a 2.6Gb MO drive in the future, I can still read my 230
MO disk.  And my next drive does not need to be an Olympus drive.  Because of
the ISO standard, my Olympus 230MB can be read on any MO drives equal or larger
than the 230 Mb drive.

For the past month, I was creating one TIF file after another after I had 200 of
my Scotland photos taken with my OM-4T and OM2000 scanned on two PhotoCD disks.
These TIF files can now go on to several MO disks for safe storage, making room
on my 2GB hard drive

Although it is not available here nor in Japan, Olympus Europa has a device
called DIMO which allows the storage of your digital images taken on a Camedia
without the presence of a computer.  I figured that my portable MO drive will be
handy when I get my first Olympus digital camera although I don't know when that
will be.  BTW, you can find out about the latest Olympus digital cameras in
English on the Olympus-Europa site:
http://www.olympus-europa.com/photogra/digimg/index.htm

I have to warn you that when I tried to access the Olympus-Europa, my access was
denied a few minutes ago.  The above URL was working earlier in the month, and
hopefully by the time you read this post,

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/