[OM] Help Repairing an OM 1.

Subject: [OM] Help Repairing an OM 1.
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 08:25:49 -0800
This was bounced the first time.
From: Stuart Goggin <sgoggin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Help Repairing an OM 1.

( I have resent this message using a different mailer in the hope it
might finally get through to the list....)

Hello All Olympus people,

I guess this email is aimed at anyone with experience servicing OM1's

Recently I have been attempting to learn some of the basics of camera
repair.  I have been practicing on junk models, and have had some good
success.   So far I have rebuilt a wrecked OM 10, fixed two other
OM10's.   My current project is to rebuild an OM 1.  I managed to buy
the OM 1 for $25AUD because it was pretty much wrecked.  It had
obviously been sitting in someones garage or attic for many years.  A
fix had been attempted on it before resulting in meter string
problems.   I suspect that the camera was stored somewhere hot and dry
as the foam had turned to a fine dust instead of goo, and all of the
lubricant in the bottom had dryed up.  There was also an appreciably
amount of corrosion on most of the screws and some of the linkages.

So far I have:
1.Replaced the cracked and pealed leatherette with some real German
leather
2.Removed many years of garage dirt from the mirror ( Without a single
scratch !!!! )
3.Repaired the meter linkage to the shutter speed dial
4.Removed fungus from the pentaprism
5.Replaced light seals with genuine OLY seals
6.Replaced corroded ground wire
7.Cleaned the shutter escarpment to get the 1 sec speed working.
8.Cleaned rust from most of the linkages ( Fixed awful squeak )

I have been working with Tomosoy's books 1 & 2 and also the OM factory
guide for the OM 2(  The OM 1 is on order )

But I have one last thing to fix,  I need to relube the shutter curtain
roller bearings.

The problem is that when the shutter is fired if the camera is pointing
downwards, the first curtain makes a screaching sound, and will
occasionally bind.  I also noted that the shutter was capping at the
1000 speed,   I increased the second curtain tension 2 notches and this
appears to have fixed the capping,  but the occasional binding is still
present. When it binds the first curtain appears to be nearly closed,
it is possible to coax the curtain a bit and free the camera up.  The
second curtain would appear to have not been triggered,  because if the
camera is in 1 second mode the escarpment does not move.   So this is
why I think the first curtain roller bearings are binding.

>From looking at the exploded parts diagram there appear to be eight
bearing surfaces that need to be lubed.   I was able to get to the two
bearings under the curtain tension ratchets. But I am unable to get to
the bearings that are making the noise.   So far I have avoided having
to pull the mirror cage out and would prefer to avoid this ( you know
the old exploding parts and camera in small plastic baggies trick )  Any
suggestions for reaching these other bearings, or any other clues as to
the cause of the noise and binding?

I was able to find some extremely fine watch oil at a watchmaker
supplier..

Latest Update:
Well last night I removed the mirror cage as per the instructions in an
SPT manual I have.  It was a little tricky to seperate the cage from the
body,  but I managed to seperate the two without damaging anything.   I
lubricated the mirror cage with the recommended molycoat, as per the OM2
service manual. (the OM1 and OM 2 mirror cages appear to be the same
with only a few extra contacts added to the OM2)  I also lubricated the
top bearings of the curtain shafts.   The result is that the squeek is
gone, but the curtains still occasionally seize without closing
properly.  I suspect that it may be a problem with the curtain
tensions,  so when I finally get the OM1 oly service guide I will look
into it further..   Any ideas about what can cause this occasinal
curtain binding?

Anyway thanks for reading so far

Stuart Goggin