Re: [OM] Help Repairing an OM 1.

Subject: Re: [OM] Help Repairing an OM 1.
From: "Stuart Goggin" <SGOGGIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Oct 98 12:03:18 +1100
Hello Chris,

I posted the instructions directly to Greg to save cluttering the list with
reposts.

The OM 1 is finally back together and working like new.   I tested it at
-18C and the slow speeds were still spot on.   I ended up replacing the
black leather again as I was not really happy with the job I did.  So now it
has new brown German leather covers.   Looks quite good.   I should have
taken some before and after photos....

Its quite a good feeling to see a completely junked body look like new
again.  It's also good to be able to get a completly stripped down body back
into one peice again with no left over parts ;-)

One method for mounting real leather is to thoroughly coat the rought
surface of the leather with contact adhesive,  make sure it soaks in well.
Whilst it is drying, coat a very small amount of contact adhesive around the
very outside edge of the camera.  A thin strip of adhesive about 1-2mm wide
around the entire perimeter on the body,  a little wider near the hinges,
making sure not to let it flow into the body.   Then whilst the leather is
still damp (Very impportant to not let the glue dry completely)  quickly
attach the leather.  Using a suitable flat instrument press the leather hard
against the body   The leather will stick very firmly to the outside edges,
but not as firmly to the inner section.   It will still be possible to
remove at a later date,  as I have done three times now ;-).  The contact
adhesive will soak into the leather and prevent grain seperation and I guess
provide a little water proofing.   Leather is porous so will allow the glue
to dry overy time.

So now I am again on the lookout for another OM 1 to do up. Unfortunately
beat up and broken OM1's are a lot harder to find than good condition
ones.....

Stuart Goggin