Re: [OM] using the 16/3.5 full-frame fisheye

Subject: Re: [OM] using the 16/3.5 full-frame fisheye
From: Richard Ross <rhdesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:44:33 +0100
At 17:41 18/10/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At 01:41 PM 10/18/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>I used to use the full-frame fisheye (say that 3 times, fast) quite a
>>bit (especially when I was travelling for Bendix). It has several
>>obvious uses:
>>
>>1. When you just _have_ to get everything in.
>>
>>2. When you deliberately want to distort the image.
>>
>>3. When the lines and shapes in the image become more "interesting"
>>because of the distortion.

I was able to get out with it again yesterday, to a river estuary where
there were mudflats, a right-angle bend in the river, and dunes beneath a
sky with some interesting clouds.  With the horizon positioned in the
centre it stays flat, but the sky and the landscape were very interesting
to say the least! I can see myself using this lens a lot. Tilting the
camera to produce obvious distortion can be fun too.

>Yeah, the trick, if you want to just use it as a super wide-angle, is to
>keep lines out of the corners. In the shot you mention, mostly sky and
>grass is in the corners of the image, so there's nothing to distort...

Yep - featureless landscape is fine, but a ploughed field took on a rather
bizarre appearance :-)

>For the real fish-eye flavor, try a shot of a row of office buildings, or
>similar, and then you'll see distortion.

It worked well on a local windmill, too...

>BTW, Pop Photo had an interesting article a couple months ago about using a
>16 fish as a super-wide angle. Their technique was to crop a strip thru the
>middle of the image, throwing out the corners, and therefore any
>accompanying distortion...

A rather closer approximation to a panorama than most APS offerings ;-)

>Regards,
>
>Denton Taylor

I looked at your website over the weekend - nice pix of the Brooklyn Bridge
with the 16!

Regards
Richard