Re: [OM] using the 16/3.5 full-frame fisheye

Subject: Re: [OM] using the 16/3.5 full-frame fisheye
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 17:41:35 -0400
At 01:41 PM 10/18/98 -0700, you wrote:
>"I've been playing with my new toys this morning. The 16/3.5 is, well,
>interesting! I'm sure I'll be able to put it to good use, but I'll need
>to think about it..."
>
>I used to use the full-frame fisheye (say that 3 times, fast) quite a
>bit (especially when I was travelling for Bendix). It has several
>obvious uses:
>
>1. When you just _have_ to get everything in.
>
>2. When you deliberately want to distort the image.
>
>3. When the lines and shapes in the image become more "interesting"
>because of the distortion.
>
>Page 113 of "The OM System Lens Handbook" shows an example in which the
>distortion is not visible at all!

Yeah, the trick, if you want to just use it as a super wide-angle, is to
keep lines out of the corners. In the shot you mention, mostly sky and
grass is in the corners of the image, so there's nothing to distort...

For the real fish-eye flavor, try a shot of a row of office buildings, or
similar, and then you'll see distortion.

BTW, Pop Photo had an interesting article a couple months ago about using a
16 fish as a super-wide angle. Their technique was to crop a strip thru the
middle of the image, throwing out the corners, and therefore any
accompanying distortion...

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com