[OM] New OM Cameras

Subject: [OM] New OM Cameras
From: Mark Dickinson <Mark.Dickinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:52:46 +0100
RE the debate about hypothetical OM5s and 6s and digital OMs
IMHO:
It is too late for Olympus to win back a sizeable part of the mainstream
pro market. That market already belongs to Nikon and Canon. However the
OM range is still unbeatable as an enthusiastic amateur's non-AF system,
for all the reasons I rambled about before.
I am convinced that Olympus could still make significant amounts money
selling OMs to this market. The only issue is price. The R&D has already
been done. The existing and past OM equipment does all that many
amateurs could ever reasonable want.
If Olympus concentrated on:
- marketing the current OMs (NOT 2000) at a reasonable price (i.e. much
lower than now) and/or reintroduced the OM1n/OM2n, priced against the
Nikon FM2 etc. (they could probably forget the titanium too)
- picked out a popular sub-set of their EXISTING primes, zooms and
accessories and priced them right (maybe about 10 lenses in all)
 - marketed the range properly, targeting the enthusiast
I'm sure the orders would come flooding in.
Sorry to any pros out there!
BTW, are Olympus still actually manufacturing OM3 and 4Tis, or do they
have a stockpile of already built cameras that they are slowly selling
off for inflated sums?