Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250/f5...

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250/f5...
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 12:25:59 +0800
----------
> From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 85-250/f5...
> Date: Friday, October 09, 1998 10:25 AM
>
> << On  8 Oct 98 at 10:27, C.H.Ling wrote:
>  > The 85-250/5 is only 800g (1.76lb) without tripod ring while the
65-200/4
>  > is 730g (1.6lb). Personally I found the 85-250 is much better in
weight
>  > balance when hand hold, but light fall off at the corners at 85mm is
quite
>  > annoying.
>
>  Is this light fall off only at wider apertures, or throughout?
>  Shawn Wright >>
>
> Hi C.H. & Shawn,
> I guess I should jump in here.  As you may remember, I did a fairly
detailed
> comparison between the 85 f2 & 85-250 zoom at 85mm @ f8 a few weeks ago.
This
> was a mountain scene and I saw NO light fall off evidence with the Zoom.
> did have the two slides printed to 10 X 14"'s and the results of
evaluation
> are as follows......................

I have retrieved the test shoots of my 85-250, it shown that at 85/5 light
fall off at the corners are found, it improved at F8. I don't think the
problem is due to the lens hood, it is less than 2.5cm from edge of lens
hood to edge of lens and I haven't use any filter.  For Zuiko 85/2 fall off
disappeared at f4 and possess less distortion.

For the resolution and contrast, I found the same as BW. At 85mm it even
looks better than the Zuiko 85/2 stopped down to the same aperture.

I have scanned my test shoots (contrast enhanced), if you are interested
please see:

http://www.asiaonline.net.hk/~chling/85-250a.htm

P.S. My 85-250 is in excellent condition with accurate infinity and
consistant focus during zooming.

C.H.Ling