Re: [OM] Olympus Vs. Other...

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Vs. Other...
From: "Stephen Worner" <sworner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 20:16:55 PDT
Another point that might be worth thinking about, Nikon and Canon have,
over the years, produced an array of different 'series lenses'...EF, FD,
ED... not all compatible with every body in their respective ranges and
offering varying degrees of quality. With Olympus, up until recently at
least, a Zuiko lens was a Zuiko lens. You could buy it knowing it would
fit OM-1/2/3/4/10/20 etc and offer consistent quality.

Or am I completely off the track here?

Steve

>Great testimonial, Mark.  Should be posted on the wall of every camera
store
>and be required reading for newbie camera purchasers.
>
>george
>
>Mark Dickinson wrote:
>
>> Some thoughts/ramblings from another extreme amateur and fairly
recent
>> OM convert.
>> My previous 'system' was a Canon EOS500 (Kiss in US?) and Canon 28-80
>> and 80-200.  I loved the Canon at first and thought AF was the best
>> thing since sliced bread. However, as time went on I found myself
>> thinking less and less about  what I was doing and letting the camera
do
>> more and more. Taking manual control of an EOS still doesn't feel
like
>> you're actually in charge. It's also very easy to focus on the wrong
>> thing and as for depth of field.....
>> My main complaint, however, is with the optical quality of the
lenses.
>> Modern mass market SLR marketing seems to rest upon a confidence
trick.
>> As others on the list have recently said the quality of the lens is
more
>> important than the features of the body in determining the quality of
>> the final output when used by someone who is actually thinking.
However,