Re: [OM] Battery for OM-1n

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery for OM-1n
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:31:12 -0800
Roger Davies wrote:

>Which is the best option for OM-1n replacement batteries in order to
>ensure proper functioning of the metering system?

Clearly, nothing bests the original PX625 1.35v mercury (hg) cell.

>The #675 zinc-air batteries are relatively inexpensive [...]
>how long will they last?

The larger 625 Wein cells last 4-6 mos.  The 675 cell is much smaller,
and hence may expire sooner.  Compare that to the typical 2 years of
service from an Hg cell.

>Another option is the silver 76 battery adapter from C.R.I.S. Camera
>Services, but this costs nearly $30!

IMHO, since you seem to reside in Europe (Portugal?), and Varta will
supposedly manufacture Hg cells until the year 2000, why not spend
the $30 on 6 units of Hg PX625?  With proper storage, Hg cells have
a shelf life of 7 (min.) to 10 (typical) years, hence you'll be ok
until 2010.  By then, your OM-1 may be ready for retirement, or if
clean -- be much too valuable to use. :-)

P.S. Any Zuik in the US who can't find Varta PX625 Hg cells locally,
pls feel free to contact me off-list.  I still have quite a few fresh
ones at $5 apiece.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA