Re: [OM] changes in optical formula

Subject: Re: [OM] changes in optical formula
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 18:51:00 -0700
On 28 Sep 98, at 14:49, Joseph Albert wrote:

> Another case is the 50/1.8 which went through several renditions of
> optical formula, and the 24/2.8 which has versions with different numbers
> of elements, or the 85/2 which has both 6 element and 5 element versions.
>
> Purchase of zuiko lenses used is a veritable minefield if you care about
> which version of the lens you get, as they are not marked in any way
> to determine it.

You may not be able to narrow it down to one version, but knowledge of the
various markings can help, especially if there are only two versions. ie: An
early lens marked "E.ZUIKO" has five elements. But my 85/2 doesn't have
the letter code, nor the MC marking, so I'm not quite sure which version it is,
or if it's MC or not. I thought I read that the E.ZUIKO code preceeded the use
of "MC", and that a lens with neither of these markings would be newer yet,
and by definition, MC (multicoated). Or was this discussion only in reference
to the 50/1.8? I'm still not certain if my 85/2 is MC or not. (It's S/N 20563x)

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright
(Olympus List Archives)