[OM] OM 2n lens mount.

Subject: [OM] OM 2n lens mount.
From: "Dr. Chris Barrett" <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:32:04 +0100
Last year I bought a second hand OM2n to compliment my now 20year old OM1, and
this year I bought a 200mm f/4.

I've noticed a bit of looseness of the 200mm in the OM2n mount, but not on the
OM1. All my other lenses need less torque on the focussing ring, so the
looseness is not noticable. But with the 200mm, I see a definite shift in the
viewfinder image as I change focus.

Looking at the two cameras they both have a little wear in the small notch into
which the latching mechanism on the lens fits. So all the lenses are capable of
moving about +/- 0.5mm in the mount. But with the OM1 it is much harder to move
the lenses than it is on the OM2n.

I notice on the inside of the lens mount are three little leaf springs which
pull the lens against the flange, and I assume it is slackness on the part of
these which is the problem. There is no more wear on the outer face of the OM2n
mount than there is on the OM1 (i.e. very little).

Is it possible to service these springs? Are replacements available? Can the
flange be removed eisily, or will I be subjected to a shower of springs and
cogs if I try?.

Chris Barrett
Malvern UK