Re: [OM] Oly OM System (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly OM System (long)
From: Perry Bain <BainP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 08:59:10 -0700
I just thought I would weigh in with my own thoughts on this topic. I got my OM1
back around 1979, and have used it for many years. When I got my OM, it seemed
that Olympus was one of the major players in the 35mm SLR market. Maybe not the
biggest, but they were certainly competitive with M*n*lt*, P*nt*x, etc. It seems
though, that Oly was left behind by the revolution that was started by the
Maxxum
cameras. Not that I think that is completely bad. I've never warmed up to the
plastic, push-button, all-electronic cameras that were spawned by the AF
revolution. I wouldn't switch my OM1 for any of them. By the early-to-mid
1990's,
though, it seemed to me that Olympus was on its way out of the 35mm SLR
business.
I had just on OM1 body at the time, with 3 relatively cheap lenses (50 1.8, 135
2.8, 200 4), and a winder. I wanted to expand my system, and I spent a lot of
time
thinking about whether to switch to a N*k*n FM2 (the only reasonably priced,
mechanical, metal camera available at the time). I decided to stick with
Olympus,
and so far I haven't regretted that decision. Even if the OM system decays into
nothingness, I figure my cameras can go for many more years.

Someone asked when Olympus threw in the towel, and I would say (at least for
35mm
SLR's) it was following the failure of the Om77AF. With apologies to any OM77
owners, it was (IMHO) ugly, awkward to use (i.e. no focusing ring on the lenses)
and a failure in the marketplace. Other companies' first AF offerings were often
equally bad, but they followed up with improved models, while Olympus did not. I
think Olympus is doing OK. Their point-and-shoot cameras, digital cameras,
microscopes, endoscopes, etc. are all successful, even if they sell few 35mm
(interchangeable lens) SLRs. In the meantime, the Zuiko line continues to
dwindle,
and OM3 and OM4 prices continue to climb. BTW, anyone who doubts Olympus'
intentions should check out the ads that appeared in UK photo mags several
months
back. These were in the form of an "obituary" for film-based cameras.

I'm not going to join the digital revolution until picture quality can match my
OM1. That looks to be a long way off. In the meantime, I'll keep using my OM1.
All
the lenses I can afford are still on the market (new or used). Maybe someday
I'll
even make enough money to get an OM3ti. If I am even more fortunate, they will
still be selling them.

I don't really want Olympus to copy C*n*n. What I would really like to see is a
new OM1, maybe with a few refinements, like a long eye relief finder, modern
battery, spot meter, and sturdier wind and meter levers. The top and bottom
covers
could be made of material less expensive than titanium (how about chromed
brass?).
I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was about the same price as an FM2. I
don't
really believe this will ever happen. I had hoped that Olympus would do a 25th
anniversary OM1, but it is probably just as well that they didn't. Considering
current pricing policy, it most likely would be gracing collectors' cabinets as
an
overpriced limited edition.

I guess the mechanical, all-metal SLR's that I love are dying out. They used to
be
common, good, and relatively inexpensive. The only ones left are the OM3ti, FM2,
C*nt*x S2, and L**c* R6.2. The FM2 is the only one of these that is priced below
$1,000 US. It is probably a supply/demand type thing. Many of the types of
people
who bought SLR's back in the 1970's and 1980's are using camcorders now, and
35mm
cameras without the AF are a hard sell to the masses, who want all the latest
buzzwords with heir camera. If it doesn't have AF and zoom lens, forget it. I
guess the old style cameras are an aquired taste. It is understandable, though.
For the non-photographers, who just want a decent picture, there is no need or
reason to learn about focus, depth of field, and f-stops. This is where most of
the market is, and that is who Olympus is selling to (i.e., IS-series cameras).

OK, I'll get off the soapbox now.

Perry Bain