Re: [OM] 40mm Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] 40mm Zuiko
From: Mikael von Numers <mnumers@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:52:54 -0700
R. Wastell wrote:
In fact, the lens is awkward to use without a filter because
> the aperture ring is also the filter ring.  It is hard to adjust the
> aperture without  the extra width of a filter to grip. Otherwise I risk
> putting my fingers on the front element. The outer edge of the aperture ring
> is serrated to help the grip but in the heat of the moment it is all to easy
> to slip.

I also own a 40/2.0 and use it a lot for documentary work outdoors.
I work as an biologist in the archipelago of SW Finland, and have
used it daily in the fieldseason for about 10 years, borth for BW
and slides. It is an excellent lens, and very sharp from 2.8 and down.
You must, however, use a sunshade. It is much easier to turn the
aperture ring when the sunshade is on. It is also a bit prone to flare.
The 40/2.0 uses the same sunshade as the Zuikos 100/2.8 and 85/2.0.

Mikael