Re: [OM] OLYMPUS ScannerES-10

Subject: Re: [OM] OLYMPUS ScannerES-10
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:58:18 -0700
On 16 Sep 98, at 22:25, John Petrush wrote:

> I checked the HP website and sure enough, there is specifically no support
> for Microsoft Windows NT - nor OS/2, UNIX, Macintosh, DOS.......    See
> http://hpcc923.external.hp.com/cposupport/pc_photography/support_doc/bpy2008
> 8.html
>
> It may be possible to cobble a workable setup, but Win95/98 are the only
> "supported" operating systems.  So much for another lesson in the realities
> of market share :((((

Given Microsoft's stated direction with Win98 & NT, this is clearly
very short-sighted of HP. One of the reasons I've purchased nothing
but HP scanners in the last 4 years (about 10 in total) was their
decent support for current and past products with different
platforms. This was after inheriting several Microtek scanners
which had ZERO support beyond win95, or in one case, windows
3.x, (and not cheapo units either, these were top of the line
models).
If HP had a high-end slide scanner available, I could understand the
marketing logic (<-oxymoron?) in making the Photosmart a
Lose95/98 specific product. But since they don't have an
alternative, this "logic" succeeds in only annoying their potential
customers who are wise to the inadequacies of MS consumer
OS's, and have come to expect decent NT product support from
HP. Possibly HP has a high-end line of slide scanners on the way,
or maybe they plan a Mac & NT version of the Photosmart?
But if not, I would certainly think twice about buying into the
Photosmart system given the limited life expectancy of Win98. But
at the price, I suppose it's a decent buy, *if* you can live with
Win9x for a few years (I certainly can't), after which it becomes a
door stop...

OM content: Gary Schloss has kindly informed me of a local
camera show on Sunday which I plan to attend. So, if there is any
rare OM items anyone wants me to watch for, please let me know
offline.

Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright